In this session, Dr. Mary Jean Amon, an Assistant Professor from the University of Central Florida’s School of Modeling, Simulation, and Training, will be interviewed about her research that highlights the benefits vs. non-benefits of behavioral routines for daily functioning. This presentation centers on new research regarding routineness in health-related behaviors, outlines how the benefits and drawbacks of routineness are more nuanced and how wearable sensors can provide insights into beneficial health behaviors.
By participating in this program, you can expect to learn that:
- given conflicting accounts on the benefits of routine, research is needed to examine how routineness versus flexibility in health-related behaviors correspond to personality traits, mental health, and occupational outcomes;
- using automatically sensed health-related behaviors collected from 483 information workers over a roughly two-month period, the benefits and drawbacks of health routineness (i.e., patterns of daily step count, sleep duration, and heart rate variability) are examined;
- it is often believed that routine is desirable, but new research suggests that effects of routineness are more nuanced, and wearable sensors can provide insights into beneficial health behaviors.
This program is presented by Dr. Mary Jean Amon and is hosted by the Winter Park Health Foundation.
How to join the Zoom Program:
Upon registration for this program, you will receive two emails:
- One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action needed with this message.
- One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before program start to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.
For troubleshooting and other Zoom-related questions, please email us at [email protected]
All CHWB Digital Education Programs are now presented with live captioning service. Please refer to your registration confirmation email for instructions on enabling live captions.
By participating in this program, you agree to the CHWB’s Gracious Space policy. Unless otherwise noted, all CHWB Digital Education programs hosted via Zoom are recorded and made available for on-demand viewing on WellbeingNetwork.org. If you prefer to be left out of the program’s recording, please leave your camera and microphone off for the duration of the program.
About the Program Presenters
Dr. Mary Jean Amon is an Assistant Professor in the School of Modeling, Simulation, and Training at the University of Central Florida (UCF). She holds a Master of Arts and Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology from the University of Cincinnati, as well as a Master of Arts in Psychology in Education from Teacher’s College, Columbia University. Before joining UCF, she was a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Indiana University Bloomington, and then a Research Associate in the Institute of Cognitive Science at the University of Colorado Boulder. Her interdisciplinary research is informed by topics in Cognitive Science, Complexity Science, and Computer Science and centers on user-oriented research aimed toward optimizing decision-making and performance in the context of complex socio-technological systems.