The diagnosis of pre-diabetes should set off alarm bells because it means you’re on your way toward developing type 2 diabetes, a disease that greatly increases your risk of heart attack and early death. Whether you have pre-diabetes or are on a set track to avoiding this diagnosis, focusing on your nutrition and making small lifestyle changes over time are crucial.
Join Allison Harrell, registered dietitian and Culinary Medicine Specialist, to discuss ways to lower your diabetes risk as she prepares a delicious low glycemic Mexican meal. Harrell will demonstrate the following dishes:
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos with creamy Avocado Broccoli Cabbage Slaw
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Black Beans
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Mexican Chocolate Chia Pudding
Special Instructions: Upon registering, participants will receive a booklet with the recipes listed above.
By participating in this program, you can expect to:
- understand the impact nutrition and lifestyle changes have on pre-diabetes.
- identify three main factors in lowering diabetes risk.
- list at least two risks of uncontrolled blood glucose.
This program is presented by Allison Harrell and is hosted by the Winter Park Health Foundation.
How to join the Zoom Program:
Upon registration for this program, you will receive two emails:
- One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action is needed with this message.
- One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before the program starts to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.
All CHWB Digital Education Programs are now presented with live captioning service. Please refer to your registration confirmation email for instructions on enabling live captions.
By participating in this program, you agree to CHWB’s Gracious Space policy. Unless otherwise noted, all CHWB Digital Education programs hosted via Zoom are recorded and made available for on-demand viewing on WellbeingNetwork.org. If you prefer to be left out of the program’s recording, please leave your camera and microphone off for the duration of the program.
About the Program Presenter
Allison Harrell is a registered dietitian nutritionist and plant-based chef who has been passionate about food and nutrition for more than 20 years. She advanced her knowledge by becoming a certified Culinary Medicine Specialist, certified in Weight Loss Management. Harrell believes that every time we eat, it is an opportunity to promote our health. She incorporates culinary experiences with a science-based approach. Her programs and tools make a positive difference in the health of our communities by instilling confidence and knowledge in the kitchen.