We all face challenges like loss, loneliness and sickness. Henri Nouwen, a well-regarded Dutch Catholic priest, professor and writer, spoke plainly of these obstacles. Beyond suffering, he described a “much deeper human darkness: the darkness of not feeling truly welcome in human existence.” Nouwen was fearless in raising this darkness to the surface, and encouraging his readers to go deeper to feel like they were not alone. Nouwen taught at prestigious schools like the University of Notre Dame, Yale Divinity School and Harvard Divinity School for 20 years where he shared his knowledge on psychology, pastoral ministry, spirituality, social justice and community.
In this program, writer and professor Paul Jacob will use various books and sermons by Henri Nouwen to guide you into a deeper understanding of how you can cultivate a balance between solitude and community. You’ll learn how solitude and community are inextricable to your health and spiritual journey.
By participating in this program, you can expect to:
- learn more about the history of Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen;
- examine the importance of being vulnerable, acknowledging personal struggles, and wrestling with spirituality;
- and learn how to cultivate a balance between solitude and community.
This program is presented by Paul Jacob and is hosted by the Winter Park Health Foundation.
How to join the Zoom Program:
Upon registration for this program, you will receive two emails:
• One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action needed with this message.
• One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before program start to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.
By participating in this program, you agree to the CHWB’s Gracious Space policy.
Unless otherwise noted, all CHWB Digital Education programs hosted via Zoom are recorded and made available for on-demand viewing on WellbeingNetwork.org. If you prefer to be left out of the program’s recording, please leave your camera and microphone off for the duration of the program.
About Your Program Presenter
Paul Jacob (Jake) is a writer, professor, contemplative guide and scholar of world religions. These callings have led him to 30 countries and all 48 continental U.S. states. After receiving his Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Master’s degree in Writing and Consciousness Studies, Jake embarked on a nomadic journey that lasted 12 years. During this time, he lived and worked all over the world, including many contemplative periods at Christian, Buddhist and Zen monasteries, working as a chef and restaurant manager at farm-to-table establishments, being a writer-in-residence and organic gardener at spiritual retreat centers, working as a journalist and teaching writing to and mentoring at-risk youth for several renowned educational programs. He also taught journalism, world religions and writing classes at several colleges. To learn more about Jake, please visit https://www.nomadicdevotion.com/