Mistaken for mermaids by early sailors, manatees continue to beguile and intrigue us even today. Join April Frederick, Education Program Coordinator at The Manatee Observation and Education Center in Fort Piece, to learn more about these majestic and mysterious creatures. Frederick will share more about how manatees were once hunted for food by early pioneers, are more closely related to land animals than their fellow marine mammals, and how they are a species on the road to recovery. Join to uncover the mystique of Florida’s charming state marine mammal.
By participating in this program, you can expect to learn that:
- The Florida Manatee is a subspecies of the West Indian Manatee and one of four remaining members of the order Sirenia;
- Manatees have a number of interesting adaptations;
- The manatee’s greatest threat and hope for survival is humans.
This program is presented by April Frederick and is hosted by the Winter Park Health Foundation.
How to join the Zoom Program:
Upon registration for this program, you will receive two emails:
- One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action needed with this message.
- One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before program start to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.
For troubleshooting and other Zoom-related questions, please email us at [email protected]
All CHWB Digital Education Programs are now presented with live captioning service. Please refer to your registration confirmation email for instructions on enabling live captions.
By participating in this program, you agree to the CHWB’s Gracious Space policy. Unless otherwise noted, all CHWB Digital Education programs hosted via Zoom are recorded and made available for on-demand viewing on WellbeingNetwork.org. If you prefer to be left out of the program’s recording, please leave your camera and microphone off for the duration of the program.
About the Program Presenter
April Frederick is the Education Program Coordinator at The Manatee Observation and Education Center in Fort Piece. Frederick has a Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources and has been fortunate to work in some of the most beautiful places in the United States. She is a teacher at heart and enjoys sharing her passion for the environment with others. Frederick has spent her career helping people of all ages find and develop their own connections to nature.