Join the Center for Health & Wellbeing and Writer’s Block Bookstore for a discussion with Mario Livio, internationally known astrophysicist and the author of the new book GALILEO: And the Science Deniers, available May 5 from publisher Simon & Schuster.
Disturbed by rampant science denial in America—and around the world—that has only intensified in recent years, Livio began researching the life, ideas, and actions of Galileo, a brilliant man who encountered similar pressures centuries ago. The result is a biography filled with lessons relevant for today—whether with respect to trusting the advice given by scientists in relation to COVID-19, the reality of climate change, the efficacy of vaccines, or the teaching of creationist theories in schools.
During this digital program, Livio will discuss his new book while diving deep into Galileo’s impact on history and what learnings we can apply to our present and future, including:
- Galileo’s life and experiences can teach us today about the correct response to irresponsible science denial by officials at high positions.
- How Galileo became the iconic symbol of scientific freedom of thought, even against overwhelming censorship.
- The unalienable right of all people for freedom of information and freedom of speech, which were denied to Galileo.
- How following scientific reasoning based on data, as in South Korea’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, can be our very best course of action in response to global crises.
Praise for GALILEO: And the Science Deniers
“Intriguing and accessible, and packed with clever insights, Livio’s latest gives readers plenty of think about.” —Publishers Weekly
“Mario Livio’s Galileo is a beautifully written, enthralling, and insightful history of a courageous genius. Today scientists and indeed all of us have a much less fraught, but otherwise not that dissimilar task to struggle with those who deny evolution, climate change, and free thought generally. A fascinating read.” —John A. Paulos, Prof. of Mathematics, Temple University, and author of Innumeracy
“A fresh biography of Galileo…The author truly excels in his explanations of Galileo’s findings as well as his descriptions of the culture of Renaissance Italy… An expert life of a giant of science.” —Kirkus Reviews
About the Author
Mario Livio is an internationally known astrophysicist and a popular speaker who has appeared on The Daily Show, 60 Minutes, and NOVA. He is the author of the bestsellers The Golden Ratio and Brilliant Blunders, among other books. He lives in Baltimore, Maryland.
This program is hosted by the Winter Park Health Foundation.
How to join the Zoom Meeting on Tuesday, May 19:
Upon registration for this program, you will receive two emails:
- One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action needed with this message.
- One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before program start to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.
For troubleshooting and other Zoom-related questions, please email us at email@example.com
By registering for this program, you agree to abide by our Meeting Code of Conduct for Gracious Spaces. Learn more here. >>>