An inevitable fact of life is that from the moment we are born, we begin to age. That can be an intimidating prospect – a literal lifetime of aging – but with a positive approach and the tools and knowledge to actively age, each birthday can become of a milestone to be celebrated, not an occasion to dread.
In this virtual Zoom presentation, you’ll join representatives from the Crosby Wellness Center, AdventHealth and Nourish Coffee Bar + Kitchen to learn more about active aging at any age. You’ll spend time learning about functional fitness and stretching, healthy nutrition and common health care mistakes we might make as we age. A Q&A session following the presentation gives you the opportunity to have your active aging questions answered by experts who practice in the field.
By attending this program, you can expect to:
- Gain a deeper understanding about the concept of functional fitness.
- Learn specific exercises that help in performing everyday activities.
- Learn the health benefits of a nutrient-rich smoothie, including a recipe you can easily make at home.
- Uncover common health care mistakes that can be made at any age.
- Discover why stretching in an important part of an active lifestyle and the benefits of consistent stretching.
- Learn techniques for proper stretching.
This program is presented by the Center for Health & Wellbeing in collaboration with AdventHealth, the Crosby Wellness Center and Nourish Coffee Bar + Kitchen.
About Your Program Presenters
As a board-certified family and geriatric medicine physician in Orlando, Florida, Rose Appel, DO, is dedicated to helping older adults live healthy lives. She specializes in senior care, including help with acute and chronic disease management and dementia. She’s also trained in fall prevention. Recognizing the positive experience Dr. Appel creates for patients, AdventHealth presented her with the Patient Experience Top Performer Award in 2019. And for her commitment to teaching the next generation of health care providers, Dr. Appel was given the 2018 to 2019 AdventHealth East Orlando Preceptor of the Year Award
Trevor Hicks PT, DPT, OCS, is the Operations Manager at AdventHealth Sports Med & Rehab Winter Park and an Orthopedic Clinical Specialist. Trevor has practiced as a Physical Therapist for seven years, spending six of those years with Advent Health. He holds a Doctor of Physical Therapy from UCF, with a post graduate specialization as an Orthopedic Clinical Specialist to better serve his patient population.
Yasmin Timm is the Fitness Manager at Crosby Wellness Center. She holds B.S. and M.S. degrees in Exercise Science from the University of South Florida. She is accredited through various fitness organizations, holding certifications as follows: American College of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer, Athletics and Fitness Association of America Group Exercise Instructor, Rock Steady Boxing Coaching Certification, and the American Heart Association Basic Life Support Instructor.
Chef Collette Haw is a classically trained Culinary Institute of America (Hyde Park, New York) graduate. With an exceptional talent for taking a healthy ‘ho-hum’ to a flavor-rich ‘yum!’ Chef Collette approaches the Nourish menu with a unique hybrid of her comfort-food-gone-healthy and ‘food as medicine’ philosophies. Prior to assuming her leadership role at Nourish, Chef Collette spent several years operating her own successful meal delivery service out of Longwood, Collette’s Clean Eats, and as a private chef to a celebrity family in Atlanta.
How to join the Zoom Program
Upon registration for this program, you will receive two emails:
- One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action needed with this message.
- One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before program start to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.
For troubleshooting and other Zoom-related questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By participating in this program, you agree to the CHWB’s Gracious Space policy.